This program includes the study of basic principles of programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and focuses on Allen-Bradley and AEG Modicon systems. PLC timers, counters and sequencers are presented with an emphasis on practical applications and safe operation of PLC systems. This module also covers data transfer, math functions and installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of PLCs.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define a programmable logic controller.
- Explain the purpose of the PLC scan function.
- Describe the basic function of I/O system.
- Define ladder logic.
- Name the two basic types of PLC counters.
- Describe the operating principles of a sequencer.
- Explain how data transfer is accomplished using a PLC.
- Name four PLC math functions.
- List six safety considerations for PLC systems.
- Describe the basic troubleshooting procedure for PLC systems.