It is in this module that the student learns the principles of direct coupling, transformer coupling, and capacitive coupling. Filter circuit such as low pass, high pass, band pass and band stop filters are presented emphasizing practical design and troubleshooting considerations. An introduction to Bode plots and active filters is also covered in this module. Bode plot assignments are completed using laboratory software.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define the terms filter and coupler.
- Explain the two basic types of coupling.
- Name two disadvantages of capacitive coupling.
- Describe the principles of transformer coupling.
- Define insertion loss.
- List the four types of filters.
- Explain the difference between passive filters and active filters.
- Understand how low pass filters can be used to smooth the output of a pulsating dc signal.
- Draw a basic Bode plot.
- List four characteristics of an ideal op amp.