This module provides an introduction to magnetism including the nature of magnetism, magnetic fields, and magnetic materials. Electromagnets and permanent magnets are also presented using a combination of video and animation allowing the student to gain a better understanding of magnetic field theory. The Hall effect sensor is also introduced in this module.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain Weber's theory.
- Define the term domain.
- Describe the principle of the magnetic field.
- List four characteristics of magnetic lines of force.
- List the three laws of magnetic attraction and repulsion.
- Name the three classifications of magnetic materials.
- Describe the field around a current carrying conductor.
- Define the right hand rule.
- List the three factors affecting the strength of an electromagnetic field.
- Explain how magnetic fields are used to store audio and video signals.
- Name two types of permanent magnets.
- Describe the Hall Effect.