This module is intended to provide the student with an introduction to networking using PLC systems and peripherals. The principles of data highways are discussed using windows platform and Allen-Bradley hardware and programming software. In addition, an introduction to ethernet and network switching is also presented as well as detailed descriptions of topology and the application of token passing in a data highway. The module also provides an overview of transmission media including fiber optic, coaxial, and twisted pair cable.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define the term data highway.
- Describe the term protocol as it applies to PLC systems.
- Explain the principle of token passing.
- Name two types of topology.
- List four factors affecting transmission media.
- Describe the two types of bandwidth used in data highway systems.
- Define response time.
- Explain proprietary networks.
- Describe the purpose of Manufacturing Automation Protocol (MAP).
- Name the seven MAP layers.
- List three advantages of using Ethernet.
- Explain the purpose of network switching.